12 Types and Examples of Distorted Thinking
Mind Reading - When you make assumptions about what somebody is thinking or feeling without them telling you. In reality, you are delusional or paranoid.
Catastrophize - when you over think a problem and the effects that they will actually have on you. For example, when you think that losing a relationship means the end of your life when really you can find someone new the next day or down the line.
Filtering - when you only pay attention to one side of things. For example, you only remember the bad times you had in school and not the good ones.
Polarized thinking - when you think of things as either black or white or good or bad. For example, there can only be good or bad people or success or fails.
Personalization - when you take everything too personally. For example, when you think that everything people do or say is some kind of reaction to you.
Blaming - when you hold other people accountable for your problems. For example, you blame someone else for causing you to make a bad decision. In actuality, you were the one who made the wrong call based on your own judgement.
Being Right - You feel the need to prove that your opinions or actions are correct. For example, you neglect other people’s perspective in an argument.
Should’s - when you place sets of rules on yourself. For example, you think that you should go out whenever your friend asks you to.
Emotional Reading - When you use your emotions to make a decision or judgement. For example, you buy into a product because of how good it was marketed when really the product is not that good.
Fallacy of Change - when you think others should change for you and that your happiness depends on them changing. For example, you expect that person to stop being a jerk because you are being nice to them.
Heaven’s Reward Fallacy - when you expect that all your sacrifices or hard work to pay off. For example, you think that if you work hard enough, you should get a reward.
Overgeneralization - when you carry a problem over to other domains. When you fail a math test, you think that you are not good with anything to do with numbers.
Hope you like my examples and definitions. Feel free to share with me yours.
- laurensreferences reblogged this from matthewperry
- show-them-all likes this
- teenage-supergirl likes this
- happyrosstin reblogged this from jarilives
- jarilives reblogged this from psych-facts
- zephyrx reblogged this from thesandwoman
- hombrejose likes this
- cwtch-book reblogged this from psych-facts
- duskh reblogged this from psych-facts
- scorpioverdose likes this
- innerbeautyisagift likes this
- babuxuan reblogged this from psych-quotes
- j-asper likes this
- helpfuloona reblogged this from horsemenhelp
- wonderlesslaura likes this
- alainaxnuckahhh likes this
- crushed-icecubes reblogged this from yanilavigne
- breakingdublin likes this
- an-dre-yahh likes this
- horsemenhelp reblogged this from cece-helps
- shauni-claus reblogged this from lwestenras
- your-preordered-winchester likes this
- mon2sun reblogged this from psych-facts
- zukana13731 reblogged this from her-memoire
- zukana13731 likes this
- her-memoire reblogged this from psych-facts
- flordelok-traducciones likes this
- payneslouis likes this
- ladygoodmans reblogged this from lwestenras
- lwestenras reblogged this from psych-facts
- alternativefeelings reblogged this from psych-facts
- drwhogivesafuck likes this
- mymoonlightsilhouette likes this
- bangbang-belle reblogged this from staypozitive
- closedclosed reblogged this from psych-facts
- sacred-shadows reblogged this from staypozitive
- goldbearfish likes this
- pseudein likes this
- ohgod-imsosad likes this
- defectinabox reblogged this from psych-facts
- jabberwockary reblogged this from taraxacumwreath
- orchid-bud reblogged this from staypozitive
- boiling--p0int reblogged this from psych-facts
- bipolar-misery reblogged this from psychophobia
- countessgrishnackh likes this
- sles-fishbowl reblogged this from orchid-bud
- sles-fishbowl likes this
- hussieismykismesis reblogged this from magicshadows
- iwantcakeftw reblogged this from ikawaiiaishiteru
- 4mazinq reblogged this from psych-facts