12 Types and Examples of Distorted Thinking
Mind Reading - When you make assumptions about what somebody is thinking or feeling without them telling you. In reality, you are delusional or paranoid.
Catastrophize - when you over think a problem and the effects that they will actually have on you. For example, when you think that losing a relationship means the end of your life when really you can find someone new the next day or down the line.
Filtering - when you only pay attention to one side of things. For example, you only remember the bad times you had in school and not the good ones.
Polarized thinking - when you think of things as either black or white or good or bad. For example, there can only be good or bad people or success or fails.
Personalization - when you take everything too personally. For example, when you think that everything people do or say is some kind of reaction to you.
Blaming - when you hold other people accountable for your problems. For example, you blame someone else for causing you to make a bad decision. In actuality, you were the one who made the wrong call based on your own judgement.
Being Right - You feel the need to prove that your opinions or actions are correct. For example, you neglect other people’s perspective in an argument.
Should’s - when you place sets of rules on yourself. For example, you think that you should go out whenever your friend asks you to.
Emotional Reading - When you use your emotions to make a decision or judgement. For example, you buy into a product because of how good it was marketed when really the product is not that good.
Fallacy of Change - when you think others should change for you and that your happiness depends on them changing. For example, you expect that person to stop being a jerk because you are being nice to them.
Heaven’s Reward Fallacy - when you expect that all your sacrifices or hard work to pay off. For example, you think that if you work hard enough, you should get a reward.
Overgeneralization - when you carry a problem over to other domains. When you fail a math test, you think that you are not good with anything to do with numbers.
Hope you like my examples and definitions. Feel free to share with me yours.
- slendy-chan likes this
- supersnugglebear likes this
- honeylustre likes this
- 4-shits-n-giggles reblogged this from all-4-nothing
- pachii-pachii likes this
- jsthero likes this
- startingmovie likes this
- s-unggyus reblogged this from staypozitive
- sheyiii reblogged this from psych-facts
- sheyiii likes this
- jesuisneri likes this
- grayceinfaith likes this
- lmaecarter3345 likes this
- desalyx reblogged this from all-4-nothing
- crayonstiel reblogged this from novaktwins
- medixina reblogged this from psych-facts
- wongyenni likes this
- irieslittlecache reblogged this from irieisabutt
- yeaahthatsraven likes this
- nexuswithin likes this
- nour-qaqa reblogged this from unreachablebyhand
- unreachablebyhand reblogged this from psych-facts
- zekte likes this
- springlover reblogged this from staypozitive
- stylinsoncrew reblogged this from starryknightz
- littlerrebelgirl likes this
- like123 likes this
- mimmblemimmble likes this
- intensely-broken likes this
- aw-biscuits reblogged this from illberoyal
- imikkimbo reblogged this from ohayitsansley
- imikkimbo likes this
- still-sleepingwithpiercedmen reblogged this from ohayitsansley
- still-sleepingwithpiercedmen likes this
- violetense likes this
- ohayitsansley reblogged this from psych-facts
- gwenlightened likes this
- dd-baycheva likes this
- siobhanclairee likes this
- weclassyasfuck likes this
- urban--angels reblogged this from darethepuniverse
- awe-awesomeasian reblogged this from darethepuniverse
- darethepuniverse reblogged this from psych-facts
- gotmyspark likes this
- skinny-kitten reblogged this from kitten-disorder
- kitten-disorder reblogged this from iwantsomeoneicanbelievein and added:
- lebevbev reblogged this from justsmile2300
- ioliveyu likes this