12 Types and Examples of Distorted Thinking
Mind Reading - When you make assumptions about what somebody is thinking or feeling without them telling you. In reality, you are delusional or paranoid.
Catastrophize - when you over think a problem and the effects that they will actually have on you. For example, when you think that losing a relationship means the end of your life when really you can find someone new the next day or down the line.
Filtering - when you only pay attention to one side of things. For example, you only remember the bad times you had in school and not the good ones.
Polarized thinking - when you think of things as either black or white or good or bad. For example, there can only be good or bad people or success or fails.
Personalization - when you take everything too personally. For example, when you think that everything people do or say is some kind of reaction to you.
Blaming - when you hold other people accountable for your problems. For example, you blame someone else for causing you to make a bad decision. In actuality, you were the one who made the wrong call based on your own judgement.
Being Right - You feel the need to prove that your opinions or actions are correct. For example, you neglect other people’s perspective in an argument.
Should’s - when you place sets of rules on yourself. For example, you think that you should go out whenever your friend asks you to.
Emotional Reading - When you use your emotions to make a decision or judgement. For example, you buy into a product because of how good it was marketed when really the product is not that good.
Fallacy of Change - when you think others should change for you and that your happiness depends on them changing. For example, you expect that person to stop being a jerk because you are being nice to them.
Heaven’s Reward Fallacy - when you expect that all your sacrifices or hard work to pay off. For example, you think that if you work hard enough, you should get a reward.
Overgeneralization - when you carry a problem over to other domains. When you fail a math test, you think that you are not good with anything to do with numbers.
Hope you like my examples and definitions. Feel free to share with me yours.
- amillionbranches likes this
- woa-cont reblogged this from psych-facts
- molo-moreno reblogged this from psych-facts
- moncube likes this
- toxicwallflower reblogged this from psych-facts
- euphorbic likes this
- mahstakilla likes this
- whoofassavoy likes this
- iorvethsbloomers likes this
- etirabys likes this
- luciddrugs reblogged this from cosmic-rebirth
- jardindestuileries reblogged this from elizarddd
- toomanyfandomstocount1 reblogged this from indifferenc-e
- lyki likes this
- slleer likes this
- nuthaang reblogged this from jonqdaes
- steeviechris likes this
- talenca reblogged this from emilythehuman
- universeselfcosmos reblogged this from atemporal-emptiness
- you-should-smile-now-that-i likes this
- offallenangelsandblackcoffee reblogged this from psych-facts
- be-my-aanchor likes this
- dyedyedyelli reblogged this from psych-facts
- therethere-itsonlymeandyou likes this
- iamtheacidwalrus reblogged this from atemporal-emptiness
- bl0nde-b1tchh reblogged this from psych-facts
- beyond-the-mind likes this
- monstermash-ycassie reblogged this from alicethebanshee
- tripedoctrine reblogged this from paragonofevil
- gloomeh-bayer reblogged this from psych-facts
- sass-cat likes this
- eccentricluanaaaw likes this
- imbeading likes this
- daphnebailey reblogged this from kylepinocchio
- subtle-sadness reblogged this from atemporal-emptiness
- foreverlostinwonderlan-d likes this
- putnotrustinprinces likes this
- atemporal-emptiness reblogged this from cosmic-rebirth
- wongsauce likes this
- matijasafar likes this
- sleepless4120 reblogged this from psych-facts
- weightingtobeless likes this
- poliphy reblogged this from psych-facts
- poliphy likes this
- oppainights likes this
- tyran1tar reblogged this from psych-facts
- havamal33 likes this
- vibraxas likes this
- thegirlwhocutsherself likes this
- jujucupcake likes this